Truthfully, the best way to get more affordable auto insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from companies who can sell car insurance in Indianapolis. You can shop around by following these steps.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about how companies price auto insurance and the steps you can take to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like tickets, at-fault accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing rates to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
A good piece of advice is that you use identical coverage information on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Consumers who do rate comparisons will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because the odds are good of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent insurance study revealed that consumers who routinely shopped around saved as much as $860 a year as compared to drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the lowest price on insurance is the reason for your visit, then learning about the best ways to shop for insurance coverage can help make the process easier.
Quoting and comparing rates for more affordable coverage in Indianapolis is not as time-consuming as you think. Practically everyone who is shopping for car insurance stands a good chance to be able to find better rates. But Indiana drivers must know how insurance companies market on the web because it can help you find the best coverage.
Keep in mind that comparing all the rates in your area helps improve the odds of finding more affordable rates. Not every company allows you to get online Indianapolis Freestyle insurance quotes, so it’s recommended that you also compare quotes from them as well.
The following companies are our best choices to provide quotes in Indianapolis, IN. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance discounts are available to lower rates
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there are discounts available that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 can get reduced rates.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Indianapolis without a vehicle on campus could qualify for this discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings because it is proof of financial responsibility.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- GEICO has savings for multi-policy, daytime running lights, military active duty, seat belt use, good student, and emergency military deployment.
- MetLife may have discounts that include good student, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, good driver, accident-free
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, good student, multi-policy, online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers may include discounts for multi-policy, save driver, continuous insurance, student away at school, good student, payment discounts, and driver training.
- SAFECO includes discounts for multi-car, accident prevention training, safe driver, homeowner, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and teen safe driver.
- AAA has discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, good driver, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and multi-car.
If you need lower rates, check with each company the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in every state. To choose companies that offer the discounts shown above in Indianapolis, click this link.
Lower Your Indianapolis Insurance Prices
Part of the insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. When consumers understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
Know your credit score – A driver’s credit rating will be a significant factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit history can be improved, you may save money insuring your Ford Freestyle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Drivers who have excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower ratings.
A insurance policy lapse can increase prices – Driving any period of time without insurance is a big no-no and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
Save money by having multiple policies – Most insurance companies will award discounts to people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, drivers will still want to compare other Indianapolis Freestyle insurance rates to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Having a spouse brings a discount – Walking down the aisle may cut your premiums when buying insurance. Marriage translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Bad drivers pay high premiums – Careful drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than bad drivers. Getting just one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to complete a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to continue driving.
Do you really need roadside assistance? – Insurance companies have many additional extra coverages that you can buy if you don’t pay attention. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them consider taking them off your policy.
Save money by raising physical damage deductibles – Protection for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Examples of covered claims would be a dented fender, hitting a deer, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your insurance pays a claim. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
How many miles do you drive? – Driving a lot of miles every year the more you will pay for insurance. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that are left in the garage cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s a smart idea to ensure your policy shows the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Freestyle is just wasting money.