To save the most money, the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from different companies that insure vehicles in Indianapolis. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- First, learn about how your policy works and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many things that drive up the price such as at-fault accidents and a substandard credit score can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article gives additional tips to get cheaper rates and earn larger discounts.
- Second, compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a better price, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you can, keep your new certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
An essential thing to point out is that you’ll want to compare similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get rates from every insurance company. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Unbelievable but true according to a study nearly 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,400, Indianapolis drivers could cut their rates by $700 a year, but they assume it’s a waste of time to compare rates online.
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from many available insurance companies in Indiana. The easiest way to comparison shop is to perform an online rate comparison. Just remember that comparing more quotes helps improve the odds of finding a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The following companies provide free quotes in Indiana. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Lower rate quotes with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden auto insurance savings.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Paperless Signup – Some larger companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy on your computer.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll and complete driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Student Discounts – Being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Indianapolis car insurance quote. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Buick can qualify you for discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Participating in a course in defensive driver could earn you a small percentage discount if your company offers it.
- Organization Discounts – Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations may earn a discount on your policy.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your auto and home insurance with the same company you may earn up to 20% off your total Regal insurance premium.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Select larger companies give a discount for renewing your policy early. The savings is around 10%.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Some of the insurance companies who may offer most of the discounts above may include but are not limited to:
When getting free Indianapolis car insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Indianapolis, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Buick at a more expensive rate and make you pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having car insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $825 a year so it’s important to compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
What is the best car insurance coverage?
When quoting and choosing coverage online or from an agent, there really isn’t a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s needs are different and your car insurance should unique, too.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- What is the ISO rating for a Buick Regal?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
A small number of people just want to have an agent’s advice and doing so can bring peace of mind One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Indianapolis.
After completing this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to participating agents in Indianapolis who will give you quotes to get your business. There is no need to visit any agencies because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a rate quote for a specific company, just jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
If you want to buy insurance from an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent do not work for one specific company and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If your premiums go up, they simply move the coverage in-house which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing insurance prices, we recommend you compare prices from multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection. Many independent agencies also insure through additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Indianapolis that can give you competitive price quotes.
- The George Group
5627 S Franklin Rd – Indianapolis, IN 46239 – (317) 862-2200 – View Map
- Steffey Hatoway Insurance
8365 Keystone Crossing #202 – Indianapolis, IN 46240 – (317) 334-3743 – View Map
- Burns Insurance Agency – Commercial, Personal and Transportation Insurance Specialists
1433 N Meridian St – Indianapolis, IN 46202 – (317) 377-1100 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of loyalty to the company rather than having low rates.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Indianapolis that can give you price quotes.
- Jim Grounds – State Farm Insurance Agent
4745 Statesmen Dr d – Indianapolis, IN 46250 – (317) 842-6807 – View Map
- Keith Eberg – State Farm Insurance Agent
7550 S Meridian St d – Indianapolis, IN 46217 – (317) 887-1400 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance
2229 Martin Luther King Jr St – Indianapolis, IN 46208 – (317) 925-5557 – View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the company have a local claim office in Indianapolis?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- How are claims handled?
- How many companies do they write for?
Once you have answers to your satisfaction to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that can be relied on to adequately provide insurance.