The preferred way to get affordable car insurance rates in Indianapolis is to start comparing prices yearly from insurers in Indiana.
- Take a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents and poor credit can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies. Click to view companies
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available in Indianapolis. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Provide notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application for your new coverage. As soon as you have the new policy, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
An essential thing to point out is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to analyze as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that nearly 70% of customers kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and just short of a majority have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. Drivers in Indianapolis could save about $697 each year by just shopping around, but they don’t invest the time required to do a rate comparison.
Smart Buyers Save More
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the things that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you cheaper rates. Many things are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
The items below are some of the major factors car insurance companies consider when setting your prices.
Driving citations cost more than a fine – How you drive influences premium rates substantially. Having just one chargeable violation can increase rates twenty percent or more. Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to careless drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have flagrant tickets like reckless driving or DUI are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Never allow your coverage to lapse – Not maintaining insurance is a big no-no and companies may charge more for letting your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Indiana motor vehicle department.
More than one policy can earn a discount – Most insurance companies allow discounts to customers who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. If you currently are using one company, you still need to compare other Indianapolis Atlas insurance rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Lower performance equals lower insurance costs – The make and model of the car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates tend to be for low performance passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
First Step: Get free Volkswagen Atlas insurance quotes
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Indiana. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Despite the high cost, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Atlas with a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average driver in Indiana is wasting up to $869 every year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to save money.
Score discounts to get cheaper Indianapolis car insurance quotes
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there could be available discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts will apply when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like Liberty Mutual and GEICO will let one accident slide before raising your premiums as long as you don’t have any claims for a specific time period.
- Multi-line Discount – Select companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Low Mileage – Driving less may enable drivers to earn substantially lower car insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a vehicle that is new is cheaper since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors are able to get a small discount on rates.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Indianapolis drivers who agree to allow driving data submission to track where and when they drive by using a telematic data system such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Payment Method – By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Good Student Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application over the internet.
As a sidenote, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include air bag, driver training, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, bundle, good student, and anti-theft.
- American Family discounts include defensive driver, mySafetyValet, good student, Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, early bird, and good driver.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers may offer discounts for multi-policy, student away at school, driver training, new car, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for teen driver, distant student, bundle discounts, youthful driver, early shopping, and business and professional.
- USAA has savings for good student, military installation, multi-vehicle, safe driver, and defensive driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including new move discount, multi-policy, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, exclusive group savings, and newly retired.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in your area. To see a list of insurers who offer free Volkswagen Atlas insurance quotes in Indiana, click this link.
When to get advice from an insurance agency
A lot of people prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! Agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is you can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is especially important in Indianapolis.
After completing this short form, your information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Indianapolis that can provide free Indianapolis auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Multiple types of car insurance agents in Indianapolis
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a local Indianapolis insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies in Indianapolis may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both handle car insurance, but it’s a good idea to understand the differences because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by any specific company and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company which requires no work on your part. If you are comparing car insurance prices, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below are Indianapolis independent insurance agents who may provide cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. These agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Indianapolis who can help you get price quote information.
Deciding on an car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Below are some questions you should ask.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Does their agency support local causes in Indianapolis?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
After you get satisfactory answers to any questions you may have as well as a affordable price, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can properly insure your vehicles. It’s important to know that policyholders can cancel coverage for any reason so never feel that you are permanently stuck with the car insurance policy for the full policy term.
Affordable auto insurance premiums are out there
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can save on Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Indianapolis. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Indianapolis auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
When you buy Indianapolis auto insurance online, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Additional auto insurance information is available below:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Affordable Indianapolis Car Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Elantra in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)