It's shocking but nearly 70% of consumers have bought car insurance from the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. With the average premium in Indiana being $1,389, drivers could save roughly $697 a year, but they just don't understand the amount of savings they would get if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper Dodge Journey insurance in Indianapolis is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies in Indiana. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the steps you can take to lower rates. Many rating criteria that increase rates such as speeding tickets, accidents and your credit history can be amended by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for tips to help prevent expensive coverage and get additional discounts.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple companies. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. Don't forget to put the new proof of insurance certificate in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to remember is to make sure you enter the same level of coverage on each price quote and and to look at as many carriers as you can. This enables an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Buying affordable protection in Indianapolis can be fairly easy. If you have a current insurance policy or need a new policy, follow these tips to reduce premiums without reducing protection. Smart buyers only need to know the quickest method to compare company rates from many different companies online.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Indiana. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Take policy discounts and save on Dodge Journey insurance in Indianapolis
Car insurance is not cheap, but you might find some hidden discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at quote time, but a few must be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Early Switch Discount - A few auto insurance companies offer discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Journey insurance policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but companies like State Farm and Progressive may permit one accident before your rates go up so long as you haven't had any claims before the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags may get savings of 20% or more.
- Driver's Education for Students - Teen drivers should complete a driver education course if it's offered in school.
- Distant Student Discount - Older children who are attending college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Professional Organizations - Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Indianapolis could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Drive Safe and Save - Accident-free drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- Driver Safety - Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- No Accidents - Claim-free drivers pay much less in comparison with accident-prone drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it's just not the way it works.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Dodge Journey auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The rates are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Indiana state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for youthful driver, mature driver, alternative fuel, pay in full, good student, and multi-car.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, paid-in-full, Switch & Save, multi-policy, Pac-12 alumni, and renters.
- State Farm may include discounts for multiple autos, good student, passive restraint, multiple policy, and anti-theft.
- GEICO discounts include daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and seat belt use.
- Allstate may have discounts that include resident student, utility vehicle, multi-policy, passive restraint, anti-theft, and senior citizen.
Double check with every insurance company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts might not apply in Indianapolis. For a list of insurers with discount rates in Indianapolis, click this link.
The data table displayed below showcases estimates of insurance policy prices for Dodge Journey models. Learning more about how auto insurance premiums are formulated can help drivers make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Journey SE 2WD||$242||$358||$280||$16||$84||$980||$82|
|Journey SXT 2WD||$242||$436||$280||$16||$84||$1,058||$88|
|Journey R/T 2WD||$272||$436||$280||$16||$84||$1,088||$91|
|Journey SXT Crew 2WD||$272||$436||$280||$16||$84||$1,088||$91|
|Journey SXT AWD||$272||$436||$280||$16||$84||$1,088||$91|
|Journey R/T AWD||$272||$514||$280||$16||$84||$1,166||$97|
|Journey SXT Crew AWD||$272||$514||$280||$16||$84||$1,166||$97|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in specific zip code location which can increase or decrease rates considerably.
The chart below shows how different deductible levels and can increase or decrease Dodge Journey annual premium costs for different age categories. The premiums are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in Indianapolis
An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. If you know what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get cheaper rates. Many things are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are less obvious like where you live or your vehicle rating.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors that factor into your rate level.
Is your car built for speed? - The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The cheapest rates will normally be found when insuring smaller low performance passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors.
The data below uses these assumptions: married male driver age 40, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It illustrates Dodge Journey car insurance rates compared to other models that have different performance rating factors.
Guys tend to take more risk - Statistics demonstrate females are less aggressive when driving. However, don't assume that females are better at driving than males. Men and women cause auto accidents at about the same rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get higher numbers of serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Journey insurance prices for male and female drivers. The information is based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
No car insurance policy gaps is important - Going without insurance will be a fast way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could result in fines or a revoked license.
Driving citations hurt - Your driving citation history influences premium rates substantially. Careful drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than bad drivers. Even a single citation may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received careless violations like reckless driving or DUI may be required to prove financial responsibility with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The chart below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault claims can impact Dodge Journey auto insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Where you live plays a part - Living in less populated areas is a good thing when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Indiana areas regularly have more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. The longer drive time means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
Too many insurance claims will drive premiums up - Auto insurance companies in Indiana award the best rates to people who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Less chance of injury means lower prices - Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Dodge Journey has at least four stars on Safercar.gov it is probably cheaper to insure.
Dodge Journey insurance loss statistics - Insurers take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that tend to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have increased rates.
The table below shows the loss history for Dodge Journey vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles as a whole equals 100. Numbers that are below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while numbers that are greater than 100 point to more losses or tendency to have larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Dodge Journey 4dr 2WD||80||92||80||148||163||131|
|Dodge Journey 4dr 4WD||96||116||71||96|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Car insurance quotes from local neighborhood Indianapolis car insurance agents
Many drivers would prefer to have an agent's advice and that is a personal choice. Professional insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Indianapolis.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance data is immediately sent to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. If you want to compare prices from a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reliable insurance agency, there are two different agency structures and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agents in Indianapolis may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either can provide car insurance policies, but it's good to learn the difference between them because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles through many different car insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part.
If you need lower rates, we recommend you get several quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. A lot of them also have access to companies you've never heard of which can be an advantage.
Below is a partial list of independent agents in Indianapolis who may provide pricing information.
- Nationwide Insurance: Brelage Insurance Agency Inc
5451 Emerson Way - Indianapolis, IN 46226 - (317) 591-2660 - View Map
- A1 Insurance
4030 S Emerson Ave E - Indianapolis, IN 46203 - (317) 787-4995 - View Map
- A. I. King Insurance Agency, Inc.
8604 Allisonville Rd #210 - Indianapolis, IN 46250 - (317) 841-6004 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These agents work for only one company like Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on their company's products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. A lot of people use the same agent primarily because of the brand name and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are Indianapolis exclusive agencies that can give you price quote information.
- Leland Brown Sr. - State Farm Insurance Agent
5936 N Keystone Ave #201 - Indianapolis, IN 46220 - (317) 251-1400 - View Map
- Keith Eberg - State Farm Insurance Agent
7550 S Meridian St d - Indianapolis, IN 46217 - (317) 887-1400 - View Map
- Elizabeth Marshall - State Farm Insurance Agent
6124 N College Ave - Indianapolis, IN 46220 - (317) 255-2700 - View Map
Picking an car insurance agent shouldn't rely on just a cheap quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Auto insurance savings summarized
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to shop for Dodge Journey insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting low cost Indianapolis auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest prices are with the smaller companies.
Some auto insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agents. Cheaper auto insurance in Indianapolis is attainable online in addition to many Indianapolis insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best rate selection.
Insureds switch companies for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, delays in responding to claim requests, high prices and even poor customer service. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new company can be easier than you think.
More information can be found on the following sites:
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High Mileage Drivers in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Versa in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Indianapolis Auto Insurance Quotes for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Homeowners in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Indianapolis Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- How Much are Indianapolis Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Sonata? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)