Everyone knows that insurance companies don't want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. People who shop around for a cheaper policy are likely to switch auto insurance companies because there is a good probability of getting low-cost coverage. A study discovered that drivers who shopped around saved over $850 each year as compared to drivers who don't regularly compare prices.
If finding the cheapest price on car insurance in Indianapolis is the reason for your visit, then learning a little about how to get rate quotes and compare auto insurance can make the process less intimidating.
Really, the only way to find discount auto insurance rates in Indianapolis is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from different companies that sell auto insurance in Indiana. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the steps you can take to keep rates in check. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like accidents, careless driving, and bad credit can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover instructions to lower rates and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Notify your agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment to the newly selected company. Once coverage is bound, put the new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One piece of advice is that you use the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
If you have insurance now, you should be able to buy cheaper auto insurance using these techniques. Quoting the cheapest coverage in Indianapolis is simple if you know the tricks. But Indiana vehicle owners need to have an understanding of how big insurance companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Companies offering Dodge Durango insurance in Indiana
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Indiana. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
What Impacts Dodge Durango Insurance Costs?
Lots of things are used when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although others are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are. One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
Allowing your policy to lapse raises prices - Going without insurance will be a sure-fire way to pay more for auto insurance. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage will get you fines or a revoked license. Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Indiana department of motor vehicles.
Little extras can really add up - There are many additional coverages that can add up on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and membership fees are some examples. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but if they're wasting money think about removing them and cutting costs.
What type of car do you drive? - The performance level of the car you own makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The lowest rates will normally be found when insuring lower cost passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Deter theft and save - Selecting a car model with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop auto theft and help lower rates.
Avoid tickets and save - Having a clean driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Drivers who don't get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Getting just one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who get serious violations like reckless driving or DUI may need to maintain a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Improve your credit rating - Having a bad credit rating is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay. Drivers with very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. So if your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Dodge Durango by improving your rating.
Certain employers raise prices - Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs such as doctors, executives, and miners are shown to have the highest average rates attributed to stressful work requirements and long work days. On the other hand, professions such as actors, students and the unemployed receive lower rates.
Protect yourself with liability coverage - The liability section of your policy will protect you if you are found liable for damages from an accident. Your policy's liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Insurance loss probability for a Dodge Durango - Insurance companies factor in historical loss data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Models that have increased claim numbers or amounts will have a higher premium rate.
The data below shows the historical loss data for Dodge Durango vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Values under 100 represent a good loss history, while values that are above 100 point to more losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Dodge Durango 4dr 2WD||88||110||91||104||90||100|
|Dodge Durango 4dr 4WD||90||115||97||92||93||102|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get cheaper Dodge Durango insurance rates in Indianapolis
Auto insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there are discounts available to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but a few must be inquired about before they will apply.
- Anti-theft System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Telematics Data - Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on driving patterns by installing a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Indianapolis auto insurance quote compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you can combine your auto and home policy and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model can be considerably cheaper since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
Companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for student away at school, good student, multiple autos, multiple policy, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- American Family includes discounts for defensive driver, TimeAway discount, air bags, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, and early bird.
- AAA offers discounts including AAA membership discount, multi-policy, education and occupation, multi-car, anti-theft, and good student.
- GEICO has savings for good student, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, and anti-lock brakes.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include type of vehicle, low natural disaster claims, good student, ease of repair, annual mileage, good driver, and location of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, switch companies, multi-car, mature driver, bundle discounts, and homeowner.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, and good student.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent what discounts are available to you. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in every state.
Local Indianapolis insurance agencies
Many people still like to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get the lowest rates and still have a local agent. And supporting small agencies is definitely important in Indianapolis.
By using this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Indianapolis who will give you bids for your auto insurance coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies because prices are sent to you. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. In the event you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local agent, you should know the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Indianapolis agents may be either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents can quote rates with many companies so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most have the option of insuring with different regional companies which may provide better rates.
Shown below is a partial list of independent agents in Indianapolis who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
- McGowan Insurance Group, Inc.
355 Indiana Ave - Indianapolis, IN 46204 - (317) 464-5000 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Brelage Insurance Agency Inc
5451 Emerson Way - Indianapolis, IN 46226 - (317) 591-2660 - View Map
- Summit Insurance Agency Inc
9302 N Meridian St #297 - Indianapolis, IN 46260 - (317) 844-4701 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company's rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to choose to use an exclusive agent mostly because of loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
The following are Indianapolis exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Jim Crinklaw - State Farm Insurance Agent
9423 Pendleton Pike - Indianapolis, IN 46236 - (317) 897-6129 - View Map
- State Farm: Amy Henry
7035 E 96th St Suite S-2 - Indianapolis, IN 46250 - (317) 897-1900 - View Map
- Bob Mercer - State Farm Insurance Agent
6437 Rucker Rd b - Indianapolis, IN 46220 - (317) 253-4300 - View Map
Deciding on an insurance agency shouldn't rely on just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- How many years have they been established?
After you get good responses to all your questions as well as a affordable price, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance agent that can insure your vehicles. It's important to know that you have the power to cancel a policy for any reason so never feel that you are permanently stuck with a specific company for the entire policy term.
Persistence pays off
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices or extreme rates for teen drivers. No matter why you want to switch, finding a great new company is not as hard as you think.
Affordable Dodge Durango insurance in Indianapolis can be found on the web and from local agencies, so you need to quote Indianapolis auto insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not have price quotes online and these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don't sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Even more information is available at these sites:
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Indianapolis Car Insurance for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)