It’s a fact that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. People who compare other rates will probably switch companies because of the good chance of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A recent auto insurance study revealed that people who compared prices once a year saved about $72 a month compared to drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If saving the most money on car insurance in Indianapolis is your objective, then having some insight into the best ways to shop for cheaper coverage can help make the process easier and more efficient.
The most effective way to get discount car insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from insurers who can sell car insurance in Indianapolis.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that are responsible for high rates like multiple speeding tickets and a less-than-favorable credit history can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies. Find an Indianapolis insurance agent
- Compare the new quotes to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new policy. As soon as you receive it, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
A key point to remember is to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap price quotes in Indiana
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Indiana. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Four Tips to Get Lower-cost Indianapolis Insurance Costs
Many factors are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but some are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your commute time. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help determine car insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
- Avoid traffic tickets – Being a careful driver has a big impact on rates. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums as compared to careless drivers. Even one driving citation can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous violations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find they need to maintain a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Prevent your car from being stolen – Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can help lower your premiums. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart vehicle theft.
- Low stress job equals lower prices – Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs such as military personnel, architects, and accountants tend to pay higher premium rates in part from job stress and lengthy work days. Other occupations such as actors, athletes and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Having a spouse equates to better costs – Being married can get you a discount on your car insurance bill. Marriage may mean you are more mature than a single person and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Determine discounts on Indianapolis auto insurance
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may be missing some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but some discounts are required to be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow companies to look at their driving habits by installing a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Sign Early and Save – A few larger companies allow discounts for buying a new policy before your current NX 200t insurance policy expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning a house in Indianapolis can save a few bucks because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your company.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, that’s just not realistic. Any amount of discount will help lower the amount you have to pay.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, accident-free, good driver, anti-theft, student away at school, and good student.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, air bags, bundled insurance, early bird, defensive driver, and good student.
- GEICO has discounts for military active duty, emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, daytime running lights, and good student.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including air bags, student driver, driver training, good student, early bird, and homeowners.
- Progressive offers discounts for good student, multi-policy, homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
If you are trying to find inexpensive Indianapolis car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply to policyholders in your state. If you would like to view insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Indiana, click here to view.
When should I have guidance from an insurance agent?
Some people still like to buy from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is important particularly in Indianapolis.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Indianapolis who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to compare rates from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer should include more criteria than just a cheap price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How long has the business existed?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
After talking to the agent and getting positive responses to any questions you have and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found an insurance company that is a good match to service your policy.
When it comes to buying your policy for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every insured’s situation is different and your car insurance should unique, too.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Persistence is the key to affordable rates
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Lower-priced Lexus NX 200t insurance in Indianapolis is definitely available from both online companies and with local Indianapolis insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not provide rates over the internet and these smaller companies only sell through independent agencies.
You just read quite a bit of information on how to reduce Lexus NX 200t insurance premium rates online in Indianapolis. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest premium rates come from the least-expected company. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Additional detailed information can be found by following these links:
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Toyota 4Runner in Indianapolis? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)