If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find cheaper auto insurance rates in Indianapolis is to start comparing rates regularly from insurers who can sell car insurance in Indiana.
- First, try to learn a little about how your policy works and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as careless driving and a negative credit rating can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for the details to help reduce premium rates and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Second, compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from many different companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
One thing to point out is that you use the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to compare as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
It’s an obvious conclusion that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who shop around once a year will presumably switch to a new company because they have a good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent car insurance study discovered that people who routinely compared rates saved $850 each year compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If saving money on insurance in Indianapolis is the reason you’re reading this, then understanding how to get price quotes and compare coverages can help make the process easier.
Locating the best rates in Indianapolis can initially seem challenging. If you are already insured or want to find a cheaper company, you can follow these tips to lower your rates without reducing coverage. Comparison shoppers just need to know the proper methods to compare rate quotes over the internet.
Finding more affordable Indianapolis insurance prices is actually easier than you may think. Consumers just need to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Indiana. If multiple providers are shown, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Indianapolis, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volkswagen R32, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volkswagen at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Volkswagen but also your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in Indiana is overpaying more than $865 each year so we recommend shopping around at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Verify you’re getting every discount
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there are discounts available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Most are applied when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Driving Data Discount – Indianapolis drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to monitor where and when they drive through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a defensive driving class could cut 5% off your bill and also improve your driving technique.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Active Military Service – Having an actively deployed family member could qualify you for better auto insurance rates.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of more than 20%.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your entire bill at once instead of paying each month you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you’re out of luck.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including renewal discount, driver training, 55 and retired, youthful driver, safe driver, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, new vehicle discount, newly retired, safety features, preferred payment discount, and new graduate.
- State Farm has discounts for student away at school, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, passive restraint, driver’s education, and safe vehicle.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for good student, paperless, multi-policy, safe driver, anti-theft, and group or association.
- GEICO includes discounts for membership and employees, defensive driver, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, driver training, and federal employee.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for drive less, accident prevention training, homeowner, safe driver, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, and anti-theft.
Check with every company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Indianapolis.